Saturday, February 19, 2011

Aldo Zilli's Organic baby food pouches (7months plus)

Whilst I would like to pretend I am a domestic goddess who lovingly prepares every meal fresh for my youngest child, aged 7 months, the last time I slaved over the stove to produce pureed Sweet potato, leek and spinach, I managed to burn my hand, make myself late for the school run and when I actually tried to feed him my lovingly home made effort, Olly screamed as though I had fed him poison before happily demolishing the pureed pouch I had on standby.

The thought of dragging 4 children under 6 and an unwilling husband around the supermarket on a Saturday afternoon is enough to bring me out in a rash. So usually, I shop online on a Friday evening with a large glass of wine in hand (yes, this has given us many an interesting shop in the past, the best by far was a very bemused Tesco delivery driver who handed over 2 packets of kinder eggs and nothing else, I have no idea how I managed that one!!). However, whilst waiting for my husband to meet us in town last weekend, I popped into the nearby Waitrose for a few essentials and it was here I spotted the new Aldo Zilli baby food range. As I have said before I have a soft spot for things that are new and a little different so I grabbed a few pouches to try and have to say I was really excited.

The first pouch we tried was Zilli Fishy Dishy recommended for babies from 6 months I heated it in water for a couple of minutes and sat down an excited Olly.
I was expecting high quality, tasty food from a celebrity chef and I have to say I was very disappointed.
I do not like the smell of fishy baby foods in general but it was a milder smell than some baby fish pies and it had a reasonably good texture for a 7 month old, there were no big lumps it was more like very tiny flakes but I was very surprised by the consistency. It was thin and very watery, so much so that it was difficult to feed to Olly as it kept falling off the small weaning spoon and as for the taste I found it to be rather bland although Olly seemed quite happy to finish his bowl.
The next evening I sat down again with the Zilli Fruit and veg puree, suitable for babies from 6 months. the smell of this one hit me right away, it was quite overpowering and whilst it was not entirely unpleasant, I did feel a little awful feeding it to Olly as I would not have eaten it myself. Again, it was very watery and this time, even Olly did not want more than 5 spoonfuls.
I definitely would not buy this again and think that Aldo Zilli will have to work hard before the launch of the next 12 flavours in April to make me reconsider. I think it was overpriced for the quality and there are much better brands available for that price.

http://www.zillibaby.co.uk/

P-rice: around £1.29 per stage 2 (6months plus) pouch



No comments:

Post a Comment