Monday, February 14, 2011

Bumgenius V4.0

The first nappy I used was a Bumgenius One Size Version 4.0 so it seems fitting that the first review is for this well known brand.
First Impressions:
I had heard lots of great things about the Bumgenius range, they seemed to be very popular amongst the cloth community and whilst they were rather plain, they did come in 8 different colours which satisfied my need for something a little different although if I am very honest and maybe slightly picky, the white was not as white as I expected and in fact has remained unused as I think it looks discoloured.
The nappy is made up of two parts making it simple to use and comes with microfibre boosters for both the newborn setting and the older baby/toddler setting which is great if you are looking for a nappy that is not too bulky on a newborn but will still last until potty training. It is easy to get the inserts into the pocket and remove them when dirty but I did not like the feel of the inserts, and they did not keep their original clean colour (a very nice bright white) well after  washing.

The test:
After getting the nappy on a rather wriggly Olly, I was very impressed with the fit. I was using a snap closure nappy and there were plenty of snaps to adjust the rise and the fit around the waist so I was able to get a good fit easily and quickly.The small insert meant the nappy was very slim although, If I had needed to, I could easily have fitted both inserts in the large pocket. Something that would be useful for night times.
There were no gaps around the legs and whilst I was confident in the fit it was not so tight that Olly was uncomfortable.
I left the nappy on for 4 hours and was pleased to find there were no leaks at all from my very heavy wetter. I would add though, that anything over the 4 hours and that would have been a different story but never the less 4 hours is good for a nappy and I was very pleased.

I tried one of the other Colours out with Kit who is a bulky 2 and a half year old and again, I got a very good fit with plenty of spare room should we need it as she gets bigger.
Kit is an average wetter and after 4 hours, the nappy had lasted incredibly well with no signs of a leak and later on in the week the nappy lasted her overnight, again, with no leaks.

On different occasions, we found the same, both children had lasted up to 4 hours in the nappys with no leaks and bowel movements had been contained well. The nappy shell washes up well and still looks good after 20 washes. and as they are a 2 part nappy drying time is minimal, the shell air dried very quickly as did the microfibre inserts, although, as I mentioned before I did not feel these washed up very well, they greyed very quicky and easily even after being washed only on a white wash and they did not feel very nice after. Perhaps a microfibre/bamboo mix insert would have worked better?

Overall, I have been very impressed with these nappys and they have become part of my staple nappy stash. They might be plain to look at (although you can now purchase limited edition prints by Chelsea Perry, very swish!), but they are reliable and do exactly what the manufacturers say.
As a side note,I have found the customer service from Baba me and Bumgenius to be helpful and friendly.

Price range:


around £14.99 per nappy
or £15.99 for the prints.

More information:


Baba me: http://www.thenaturalbabyresource.co.uk/site/index.html
Bumgenius: http://www.bumgenius.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment